• CommentAuthornoborders
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2009

I began reading African Laughter and experienced 100% goosebumbs for the first time in my life---60 years--reading since four years old. I have glanced at some discussions---all missing the point. Read preface and Doris said---it is not about critical analysis-----Doris's "view" and how she naturally paints with simple/basic words have never been done before. Not even Tolstoy can describe the fundamental "pictures" in life with such POWERFUL simplicity. I cannot believe I have not been exposed to this writing before--it perhaps was not to be. Maybe there is still a chance I can trade all my business degrees for a degree in 'english'. Doris's sentences create multi-dimensional images to such an extent it is impossible not to be in the scene or the feeling. This is a new world for writers but I somewhat think one has to be 'born' with this INCREDIBLE 'gift'.
    • CommentAuthorOttawa
    • CommentTimeJul 16th 2009

I just finished reading Lessing's preface to "The Golden NoteBook." I cannot wait to sink my teeth into the rest of the book.
    • CommentAuthorartcouret
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2010 edited

I just read Lessing's preface too I cant leave it for just a second.

---
    ->link<- - Pokies