• CommentAuthoradmin
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2008

This thread is for discussions about Page 457 of the online edition of The Golden Notebook, and the readers' comments. Please show a courteous regard for the presence of other voices in the discussion. We reserve the right to edit or delete comments that do not adhere to this standard.

• CommentAuthorKirsten
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2008

I felt often in these pages that the portrait of Saul was another of Anna's attempts to describe a side of herself - even if it is a reflection of herself. This would make the "I, I, I" a series of shots at herself for being self-centered. I can't help pointing out that Saul Green is the transitional character between the blue and golden notebooks - the green color is not only a nice secondary color to switch between these two, but he's some sort of gateway into her private thoughts, and into the book that Lessing wanted to hold the most truth in the novel. The placement of this chapter seems to be a profound statement about why Anna "needs" a man as though she were thirsty and he were a glass of water, about how Michael and Saul open her up to a notebook she believes she could not have written without them. Did anyone have a different take on this section? A more feminist reading, perhaps?